Poison Ivy- Toxicodendron Radicans

Attributes- A poisonous vine or tree. Its commonly observed as a vine, but can also grow as a tree. As a tree, it can grow up to 8-15'. Bramble form is common too, reaching heights of 4'. But most commonly its a vine. Even though the name is "Ivy", it is not an Ivy. Its named "Ivy" because of its Ivy like characteristics. Its actually in the toxicodendron family. "Toxico" meaning Toxic or poisonous and "Dendron" meaning tree or vine. Its name means toxic plant. So, Toxicodendron is a family of poisonous plants. Poison Ivy being the worst.

Rashes- Poison Ivy is known for its rashes. Its other family members, the Poison Sumaccias, and Poison Oak, are usually lesser of a toxical rating. Most people get rashes from Poison Ivy from contact with the leaves, bark, or fruit. The rash is long lasting (Chronic), and can last up to several weeks. If your are more resistant, it may take a few days. Severe cases of Poison Ivy Rash can last up to a month. People who are resistant to Poison Ivy can only gain the rash by contact with the sap. The sap would cause irritant to the skin, and may become a rash if untreated. That rash will last from 3-5 days.

Leaves- Deciduous. A tri-compound leaf. It has teeth on each leaflet. Vines will have areal roots. Branches full of leaves extend from the trunk. One vine can have hundreds of branches. Most people will gain a rash from contact with the leaves.

Other- Poison ivy is pretty hardy and will grow almost anywhere. It is native to the eastern US. Be careful while working with Poison Ivy. Its best to have a resistant person deal with them, or a dendrologist. If you are not resistant, but wish to treat them yourself, its best to wear gloves. Then, wash the gloves to the best of your ability. Poison Ivy is non-contagious.

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.